Behind the Scenes in Rwanda with Lauren and Mandy

The journey began in Atlanta, Georgia at Team Type 1’s warehouse. Leading up to the race, we’d packaged 6 bikes boxes with donated diabetes supplies.

We loaded up the TT1 vans, and rolled up to the ATL airport. With letters in hand, claiming that this was in fact humanitarian aid, we spoke to Delta and convinced them to waive all fees. SCORE! We were fortunate enough that in the midst of this process they forgot to charge us for our bicycles. DOUBLE SCORE! So our journey truly begins . . .

Note: Aleksei and Joey taking a snooze. Creepin.

3 flights and 24 hours later, we finally arrived at the Kigali Airport. At first, none of the luggage (including diabetes supplies and bicycles) had arrived from Atlanta. Oh noes!!!!….finally, they showed up, slightly damaged, but ready to ROCK! We loaded up the carts with as much luggage as possible, and attempted to bring it to the parking lot. As many of you may know, Rwanda means “Land of a Thousand Hills”.  Unfortunately, we tried to bring our luggage down one of these thousand hills, and after nearly getting run over by our own bags, some nice Rwandans suggested we go down backwards. SCORE!

Francois and Crispin, the father-son duo from the Association Rwandaise des Diabétiques were amongst the welcoming committee at the Kigali airport. We arrived at the hotel, where an unnamed individual found a snake in his/her room (according to the natives, it was most likely a python or a black mumba) . . . . Our room had a sink which nearly fell to the ground upon use, and the shower was freezing. We had our first truly authentic Rwandan cuisine and downed a Mutziig Ikonge, which means “a cold beer” in Kinyarwanda.

After a few more mutziig inkoge, we noticed that our room came equipped with only one insecticide treated bed net, which are super important for not getting malaria! As a matter of necessity, we pushed our beds together. We call it team bonding.

We messed up time zones, and accidentally woke up at 6:00AM, making that only 5 hours of sleep over the course 2 days. We were so excited to see what Rwanda looked like in the daylight. We peeked ours heads out the window, and realized that Joey Rosskopf was just as excited!

We ate delicious breakfast, and learned that Rwandan coffee is hot milk with a dash of coffee, and a spoonful of cinnamon. Caffeine headache commence! Mandy and Joey went on a stroll to the front street of the hotel, and watched the locals pass by on foot (with no shoes), bikes, cars (all Toyotas…almost like Japan is sponsoring Rwanda), moto-taxis, and with stuff of their heads. People honked, waved, smiled, gave thumbs-ups, and pointed at funny looking white people. Lauren met with Crispin to go over activities planned for the week for TT1, the ARD, and the Rwandan Ministry of Health. Highlight reel:

1. Went to a Rwandan back alley, and “hustled” for 48 notepads and 50 BIC pens for the doctor training that Dr. Edelman will be leading. Outcome: Good prices on notepads and pens…WINNING!

2. Went to the ARD Clinic where this display was discovered . . .

Association Rwandaise des Diabétiques

Entering the ARD, the first thing one sees are TT1 team cards, a picture of Phil, and the Virgin Mary/ resurrected Jesus.

3. Put together the doctor training curriculum with Crisipin while I “thought” I was introducing him to the new Kanye West- Jay Z album. He said that he was already familiar, and that Jay Z is his favorite. He also likes T.I., so I told him that I’m from the ATL, and that T.I. performed his pre-jail concert at my university. He said that he really wants to visit the US, but he’s never left Africa. You’d be surprised to hear that once you’ve heard his English. It’s really good. On top of that he speaks Kinyarwanda, Swahili and French fluently, and was part of the Rwandan National Basketball Team up until a few years ago. Also had some corn on the cob from a street vendor, which was the freshest I’d ever eaten. No pesticides in any of this food. And….a pineapple from Francois’ pineapple and chicken farm.

4. We went to check out the restaurant that would be serving lunch at the doctor’s training. I had my first goat…it’s called bruschette. I heard the goat prior to consumption in the backyard. So fresh!

5. Met with Dr. Edelman, and tied up all the loose ends for doctor training. Will report back in the next blog.

At 2:00 PM, the team was off for a training ride. It immediately started raining, but that didn’t phase us . . .we continued with the encouragement of the Rwandan people. Every mile there were kids running up to the streets, running alongside us, or screaming from their huts. During the storm, we saw kids collecting the fresh rainwater, and carrying it on their heads and bringing it back to their families. This is the cleanest source of water that these kids have. Crazy to think that we won’t drink anything but bottled water. Regardless of all the hardships that these kids go through on a daily basis, the smiles that came to their faces when they saw Team Type 1 ride by was priceless.

Let us know what you’d like to see/hear more of! -By Mandy M. and Lauren D.


6 thoughts on “Behind the Scenes in Rwanda with Lauren and Mandy

  1. Great report. Just keep the impressions and descriptions coming. The thoughts and impressions of the Rwandan’s and kid pics would be interesting to hear about, in addition of course to how TT1 riders and staff are adjusting. Glad TT1 has correspondents communicating. Take care.

  2. I’m enjoying reading the blog. Keep up the awesome work! Too bad you didnt mention about going on a Delta plane. I could have given you some free drink cards! lol

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s